New Battery systems > Other new battery systems

Magnetic Graphite (Oxford Bell)

(1/4) > >>

clearchrome:
Hi,
I came across this device (was posted many years ago)


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bJZZbEN8vg&ab_channel=PMMG4HYBRID[/size]


Many details are missing but her was trying to replicate the (Oxford Bell) which ran for over 170years non-stop over a mysterious composition battery.



Starting at 4min in the video, this guy is showing us that he was able to light up a LED for 2.5 years and more using only graphite blocks of 2inch x 2inch x 0.5inch in pair sandwith with Neodyium magnets in series. 


He observed that this setup allows the environmental humidity is moistening the graphite blocks which in turn keep the "undisclosed electrolyte" moist during sunlight exposure thus allowing the electrolyte to never dry up and keep the reaction going on for years on....

Update Note: I tried a scott towel with concentrated soaked citrus juice, I measured 0.4v 2 uA = 6mW  directly on the paper towel....but when putting the towel in between the magnets and graphite I got like 0.17v total (105uA) = , my setup is very small ...looks viable to test larger scale.

I tried myself using carbon graphite motor rods with neodymium magnets, no electrolyte, I get 0.0000mv (nothing)....  from the video the electrolyte barrier is not really visible but hes talking about a PASTE of somekind.
I don't know what electrolyte I should put in there, any idears what would work best to recreate this effect?








 

fritznien:
you need to check your math.0.4v 2 uA = 6mW should be .8 micro wattsalso the power to light a led is not standardized, so pretty much meaningless.as to what you can use for electrolyte, anything that will makea reactive solution. battery cells usually have something nasty in them.salt might work and it attracts moisture.just out of my own curiosity how long do you think a AAA duracell wouldput out 2 micro amps?

clearchrome:

The goal is to replicate the video setup on youtube, that is getting a led voltage with enough current to run 2.5 years+.


An AAA battery will run down after 3/4 days powering a led.

For the math thing, I put the worse value as the voltage came down a bit, yes your right my equation does not add (my bad) a I forget to update the number before entering the final power. 


I think of the key is that the Oxford Bell and the Magnet setup , but have enclosures to stop water evaporation.   





So when comparing a AAA battery capacity to something 1/20 its volume size, of course this will not yield the same power output.


But I get your point as AAA battery can generate a long time a small current.


I want to be able to prove that the power does not drop overtime with a small setup to prouve the video concept.


I checked the next morning and the voltage was again back to 0 as the wet paper dried.


I dipped my setup in water and Im getting 0.6v 400uA, until it dries up again..

I will try using salt/water for next test but I think this will still dry up as well as water will evaporate faster than what salt can absorb. Using a kind of electrolyte paste may have better moisture retention in my opinion.


Probably also thinking of parting some electrolyte capacitors and recover the electrolyte membrane.
   
Open to all Suggestions. 



kajunbee:
I’m trying to understand how you measure any voltage at all. At first glance it looks like a typical metal air battery setup. The metal coating on the magnet might be your negative electrode. And the surrounding air would be your positive. If this is the case then your both leads of your meter are connected to the positive electrodes. I wouldn’t expect any potential difference if that is the case. Probably something simple that I’m not understanding here. To do battery experiments you need to have a good understanding of chemistry. And that’s something I don’t have.

Out of curiosity did you measure voltage between center magnet and the graphite.

clearchrome:
When measuring just on paper tower, I get around 6-8mW ~0.4v 2uA[size=78%] [/size]

I will make a video so that you will see better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-CH01oRtNY&ab_channel=DigitalInspiration


So basically no matter where i probe, I get 0.4V.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version